24 November 2009

Stop, drop and cover

Every year TJ has a huge Emergency Response/earthquake drill.  This is no simple stop-drop-and-cover type drill.  This is a 5-alarm, hard hat-wearing, victim-rescuing, backboard-toting drill.  It also requires corralling almost 2,000 restless kids out on the football field, usually in the rain.

Over the years the drill has improved.  Instead of taking 3 hours, we are now in and out in just over an hour.  And instead of the kids creating REAL destruction in the classrooms, they make these signs
to post around the school.  The idea is that the sign describes the scenario, then your rescue team decides whether it's worth rescuing the poor souls trapped inside (liberally painted with red body paint and howling pitifully.)

The first sign was on the faculty room door--obviously the students think we are a professional bunch.  The second is from the data secretary’s office (background info: the walls of her office are plastered with golden retriever pictures).  I have a sneaking suspicion that one or of my AVID kids is behind this…

2 comments:

Bob Book said...

Your drills are waaay better orchistrated than ours. Ours consist of herding students (with the same aversion of hearding as cats) to the football field where they play hacky-sack with their cell phones and homogenize into one seething mass. Good luck to the parent that wants to find their student.

I feel good my kid is in a better earthquake-prepared venue than I.

CarissaWalker said...

Earthquake drill... I keep meaning to get that done at work...

Pages