23 October 2009

Field trips are FUN!

I recently took my AVID kids to the National College Fair in Seattle. I don't particularly love field trips because 1) you are personally responsible for returning the same number of kids (in fact, the SAME kids) to the school, 2) said kids are cracked up beyond belief on excitement and whatever sugar they've hijacked along the way, 3) you are responsible for keeping these kids well-behaved in an environment that is generally not used to hooting, hollering high school kids (see #2), and 4) all of these kids are crammed into an overcrowded school bus with you both coming (excited about the trip) and going (jacked up on sugar and excited from the trip).

I took a picture from a rare moment of peace on the bus as we got close to Seattle.

My kids are all seniors this year and it was pretty neat because actually dressed appropriately, prepared resumes and researched colleges ahead of time. This is a huge improvement over two years ago when they all split and used the trip as a free shopping morning in Seattle (I was not their chaperone that year or they would all be dead now).

Besides the part where I had explain that no, the trays are NOT part of your fast food meal--followed by multiple bag searches and forced returns to the food court--it was a fun, educational and law-abiding trip.

4 comments:

Tanya said...

It takes a brave soul with a hearty consititution to trap themselves in a tin can hurtling down the freeway with no way to escape--for you, anyway.

Then when you get there, it's like herding cats the whole time.

Keep up the good work!

CarissaWalker said...

glad you survived the goat rodeo.

JoAnn Casebolt said...

You are an inspiration to your cousin who is following in your foot steps. Well, not exactly as she has bigger feet but you know what I mean!
XXXXX
OOOOO

Anonymous said...

What can I say after the 3 comments before you are an inspiration to the young that will follow you. I was glad to hear the students were well behaved as I would hate it if you had to kill them, ie: last years trip. Keep up the great work. Love you G&GBOOK

Pages