03 September 2009

In which I feel very much like a city slicker

It's that time of year again, when I journey hundreds and hundreds of miles through cities, mountains and the Oregon Outback to visit Sheena in Lakeview, Oregon. This post is a little late in coming, mostly because I wanted to give this post its proper attention and I ended up forgetting about it. But it's here now, so no complaining!

You might remember that previous visits have resulted in my disastrous attempts at horseback riding. I assure you that that was not an issue this year. Although be warned--the pictures this year are from my phone and more about capturing the fun than artistry... they don't compare to last year's pictures!

This year I was lucky enough to have company. I met up with Sheena's half-sister in Portland and we carpooled the rest of the way down. Always nice to have company. Especially when that company has Sirus radio.

We stopped at the Crooked River Bridge for a break and of course I took pictures. The train bridge:


And the duel spans of the old and new highway bridges. The old bridge (front) is now for pedestrians.


Our next stop was in La Pine, just before we turned off into the "Oregon Outback." A few years ago when Carissa and I drove down for Sheena's wedding we had the best croissants EVER at the grocery store in La Pine. Just to make me happy, we stopped--and yes, they're still just as good.


When we arrived in Lakeview we were greeted by the Safeway cowboy. He creeps me out every year...


As I've said, there was no problem with me v. horses this year. The focus of the weekend was the annual ranch BBQ hosted by Lee's parents. Sheena's sister was karaoke DJing (or KJing, as it's called), and I was supposedly "back up KJ." I redesignated myself "supervisor."

KJing involves quite a bit of set up, which is tricky when you're on someone's deck and there's sun beating down. Here we stole a tablecloth and rigged it up with electrical tape to provide some shade, giving birth to the name "Sailboat Karaoke."


The karaoke was an instant hit with the kids, who swarmed the table requesting High School Musical, Taylor Swift, and Carrie Underwood. Apparently it's the only thing they play south of Portland. They did express some interest in Michael Jackson. "I like Michael Jackson," one girl said. "Michael Jackson likes kids," replied Sheena in an innocent voice. At this point she was banned from talking to the kids.

We quickly had to establish boundries to keep the kids from taking over. The electrical tape came in handy again when we made the "do not cross or you will never ever be allowed to sing karaoke again" line.


Tawny knows which side of the line SHE belongs on.

I tried to tell the kids no HSM music because "if you're over 16 and listen to that music it will make your brain turn to mush." To which one exasperated little boy said "if you're UNDER 16 it will make your brain turn to mush." I eventually lost that battle and we listened to LOTS of HSM that night.

Eventually Sheena wrestled the mic away and we got to hear something NOT written by Disney.


But afterall, it is a BBQ so karaoke isn't the main event. The food is, of course.

MEAT!


BBQ'd oysters (from afar, since I don't eat that which is from the sea):


Tawny made sure to make the rounds. Here she is surrounded by her harem of men:


The dynamic duo!


I took a break from the action to call Ryan. I told him that I didn't have a very good signal so I might cut out. He asked, "are you deeper in the country?" I explained that no, at this point it's pretty much all the same, just that cell towers are few and far between.

I used the break time to take some pictures of the scenery. Sheena's house is off to the right (or that general direction) in this picture:



The neighbor's place--twice over:



The long and winding road...


I herded steers here last year! On a horse!



...but not these steers. These are the neighbor's. I think Sheena's are better.



As night fell, the BBQ became a rave--or at least it began to look that way as we all got these nifty glow in the dark bracelets.


(note to self: If you fidget with the bracelet too much, it will break open and make your hand glow. No picture because my hand was glowing.)

Once the kids ran through the selection of HSM songs they started in on various other diddies. They were horrified by any "bad" words in songs, but had no trouble singing along to "Gunpowder and Lead," a charming little diddy about a woman who kills her abusive husband. ("I'm goin' home, gonna load my shotgun/wait by the door and light a cigarette...I'm gonna show him what litter girls are made of/Gunpower and lead").

Lady GaGa songs also featured prominently, including "Just Dance," a song about getting drunk in the club and not knowing what's going on. ("where are my keys, I've lost my phone.... how'd I turn my shirt inside out?")

Corrupting the youth:



Unfortunately, Monday morning came too soon and we had to leave--but not before I dressed Smiley up one more time for old time's sake!

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Very beautiful country!

I would really like to live like that but the thought of not having instant access to giant iced-teas, restaurants, and the Dollar Store is intolerable.

Pages