26 September 2009

Don't worry, it's just my brain trickling down my neck

I've already shared this with a bunch of you, but I wanted to give you a little taste of what it's like to attempt to teach sophomores literature, specifically literature with a moral lesson, on a sunny Friday afternoon.

So without further aidue, I present "Why Teaching Sophomores Makes You Want to Reach in Through Your Ear and Pull Your Brain Out":

In today’s edition of “Why Teaching Sophomores Makes You Want to Reach in Through Your Ear and Pull Your Brain Out,” I try to teach a passage from Thoreau’s Civil Disobedience.

“’It is not a man's duty—‘“

“DOODY??? Hee hee!”

“Duty. Like job. ‘It is not a man’s dut--,er, JOB, as a matter of course, to devote himself to the eradication of any, even the most enormous, wrong; he may still properly have other concerns to engage him; but it is his duty—‘”

“Hee hee.”

“Job! ‘...it is his job, at least, to wash his hands of it--‘“

“HA HA HA HA!!!”

“’…and, if he gives it no thought longer, not to give it practically his support. If I devote myself to other pursuits and contemplations, I must first see, at least, that I do not pursue them sitting upon another man's shoulders.’”

“…!!!...there’s a man on his shoulders? While he’s doing a doody?”

Random kid who just tuned in: “Wait, there’s a guy on his shoulders? Why?”

“He’s saying that he can’t infringe on anyone else’s basic rights.”

“The basic right to not have a man on me.”

“It’s a metaphor. ‘…If I devote myself to other pursuits and contemplations, I must first see, at least, that I do not pursue them sitting upon another man's shoulders. I must get off him first—‘”

“’—that he may pursue his contemplations too.’”

The end.

Perhaps now you understand why blog posts are more scarce during the school year than they are in the summer. I'm trying to recreate a brain from the jelly-like mush oozing out of my ear.

PS- If you're brain isn't quite traumatized enough, my friend has a blog dedicated to chronicaling the ridiculousness of teenagers. Read at your own risk!

3 comments:

Tanya said...

I feel your pain!

In my class another version of the same theme:

(Teacher) "When we go out to the shop next week..." and the lone (blond) girl in class says "Wait! You mean we get to go out and shop in this class? And my friend said this class was for boys."

JoAnn Casebolt said...

You mean there isn't a high school credit class for shopping? I'm sure it was an honest mistake made by many blonde chicks!

The English Teacher said...

I meant to comment on this a long time ago, but just forgot. Oooops! Thanks for the shout out!!

Pages