And already this weekend has been pretty awesome.
First of all, I've been trying out a new grading system this semester. I'm using portfolios with my sophomores and that means that I'm more accountable to them for having work graded and back so they are aware of their progress. (I know this doesn't seem relevant to my weekend, but stick with me here!) It's a lot of for me because I need to have a very concrete plan and I need to grade everyone's folder about every other night, BUT here's what my grading files looked like Friday afternoon:
You have NO IDEA how great this is. It doesn't mean that I'm not doing a lot of work, but consistent work is paying off. I'm enjoying in now, because in just over two weeks I'll be getting two class sets of papers and I'll be doomed. On the upside, I'll have only two sets of papers and not two sets of papers plus God-knows-what might be hiding in those bins.
But wait! The weekend gets better! Saturday morning we welcomed my first cousin once-removed (aka Jenna & Kyle's daughter) Payton Marie Hall into the world. The whole family is doing fine, and in my humble opinion Mom looks far too good for having just had a baby.
We decided to get out and make a quick visit up to Pike Place Market this afternoon. The weather was typical drizzly Seattle weather, but that great type of rain where you can walk around and feel it but never get soaked. The daffodils were blooming, making the market cheery even in the gray dreariness. Coffee and Piroshy Piroshky matched the gray day.
We stopped by to browse one of my favorite booths, Sam Sung's handmade silver jewelry. About two years ago we bought my "casual" wedding ring, a random swirl pattern, from Sam. Today another ring caught my eye:
When we were shopping for my "real" wedding ring I saw a watermelon tourmaline necklace that I'd really, really liked. I almost ended up with a wedding necklace instead, but I'd never forgotten that watermelon tourmaline. And now the Precious is mine.

3 comments:
We hope you had a good time at the hockey game and so glad the guy behind you warned you about the cow bell but I would have fought them to the death if they tried to take it away from you. G&GBook
It was a good day, wasn't it?
Keep up the new system. I love new systems!
Best day yet and thanks for celebrating it in your blog. Can't wait for Miss Payton to meet the entire Book/Cook/Walker clan!
Post a Comment