23 August 2009

Mi casa es su casa

The other night we set out to find a new place to eat. We were initially looking for a certain Italian restaurant in Federal Way, but when we couldn't find it we landed at Casa Oaxaca.

This place, by all appearances, is a little strange. First, it's on Pac Hwy. If that's not bad enough it's in one of those big, boxy buildings with no windows. And most recently this building was a Korean BBQ, so the interior is Asian with a light dusting of Mexican fiesta over the top.

But what makes this place worthwhile is that it's not another Azteca Mexican or even "real" Mexican (mmmmm, tacos). It's Oaxacan Mexican, focusing specifically on food from the region of Oaxaca. The food is less on the enchilada sauce/tomato side and more on the mole sauce (pronounced "mole-ay").

I had enfrijolatas (0r something like that).


That's a big piece of salted beef on the side (apparently an Oaxacan thing). The other part is tortillas with cheese (quesillo--also called Oaxacan cheese) and black refried beans with kind of a sweet chocolatey flavor.

Ryan had chicken mole negro (black mole).


It was very rich, kind of nutty, kind of sweet. Reminded me a tiny bit of a curry. Whatever it was, it was good.

There's a really famous Oaxacan restaurant in Ballard that I've never actually been to, but based on my first taste of Casa Oaxaca here in Federal Way (and the comparatively cheap prices), I'll be sticking to the Casa.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I could eat there as I can't pronounce the different dishes much less my tummy probably wouldn't be to happy. G&GBook

PS I beat both your mom and aunt Joann teehee

JoAnn Casebolt said...

Drats! See if I ever leave my house and come visit you grama!

Carissa and Chris said...

when i come home - take me - k?

Tanya said...

Don't I, your own (or disowned) Mother get priority notice that you've posted?

That looks really yummy. I'd better be on the guest list next time you go.

Pages