14 July 2010
A lesson in pizza history
(Yeah, haven't got a clue who Gabriel is. Obviously, someone important enough to get his name on the Shakey's sign!)
Anybody remember Shakey's pizza parlors? Back in the golden pizza age of the 80s when there really were pizza parlors, all dark and red? Where the smell was 100% pizza? And no one even contemplated putting arugula on pizza?
I remember liking Shakey's back in the day, but my one solid memory is about the time that Roo & I got to sit at our VERY OWN TABLE, without Mom & Dad. AND it was one of those high pub tables. With swivel stools. (I also vaguely remember us getting into an argument and ending up back at the table with Mom & Dad. If it didn't happen that particular time it happened enough other times).
Anyhow, most Shakey's have gone the way of Alfy's, Pizza Haven, Pizza & Pipes and even the sit down Pizza Hut. Most are still around, but not nearly as awesome as in their original form. Fun trivia fact: There are now more Shakey's in the Philippines then there are in the US.
Lucky for us, there are still a couple of Shakey's in the area. They've changed a little bit, but the pizza is still yummy--and even better, they still have MOJOS!
If it isn't obvious from the pic, mojos are similar to jojo fries/potatoes, but the potatoes are sliced in discs and the breading is a little... I don't know, lighter? YOM. It makes my day to have Shakey's pizza & jojos!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
YUM! OUR OWN TABLE!! I remember that. And sometimes our own table at Arby's (what was it before it was Arby's?!?!) if it wasn't crowded.
What a simple world it was when all you needed to make you happy was your own table...
I see Shakey's now uses plastic baskets and and wax paper. No more flavor of the dishwashing detergent on those wooden bowls and trays.
Where did you find this little gem?
SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! I didn't know there were still Shakey's out there. We used to go to the one in Federal Way ALL THE TIME growing up and for YEARS I've had a craving for MoJos! Where is said Shakey's? I will be in town again in a couple of weeks.
RAX!!!!
The Shakey's in Federal Way was part of the high school experience of the 70's, I'm sure your dad remembers. I spent many, many Friday and Saturday night there as many of my friends worked there. I had forgotten all about the MoJo's! Now I must have some.....
...shake it like a Polaroid picture.
Who invited the Mainer?
:)
Post a Comment