31 May 2010

Big news! (if you're waiting for a baby announcement, stop reading now)

Big news on the CookBook front!


That's right, after 7 years of teaching plus student teaching plus interning at TJ, I've decided that it's time for a change.

Here are the answers to the questions that you are most likely asking right now:
  1. 1Yeah, most people have never heard of the school--or even the school district!  It has a population of around 900 kids and is located (roughly) on the edge of Parkland near Lakewood.  It's a comparatively smaller district--just two high schools, each under 1000 kids.
  2. Yes, my commute will be longer (between 30-40 minutes each way), but it will be a reverse commute so it's relatively pleasant. (Sidenote--why is this everyone's first question? Are you really that concerned with my morning drive?)
  3. Yes, I know about Parkland and Lakewood.  It's not Bellevue, but it is safe and I was very impressed with the school environment.
  4. No, I'm not leaving TJ for any particular reason.  I've spent my entire teaching career there and I'm ready for a change.  Time to leave the metaphorical nest and spread my metaphorical wings.
  5. I'll be paid pretty much the same--state pay scale!
  6. I don't know what I'm teaching yet, but they promise to tell me ASAP.
  7. And finally... Why this school?  To be honest, I didn't even know it existed before I applied for the job. At first glance, their numbers (free/reduced lunch & test scores) weren't great, but I was intrigued by a small school of only 900 kids and consistently positive reports of the school environment.  I was thoroughly impressed with the respectful, welcoming attitude of both staff and students and by the high professional standards of the staff. 
So big changes going on. Right now I'm trying to pack up my classroom, which is kind of like packing up a small household (not even kidding, the three most beneficial things to have in your classroom for you and the kids for non-teaching purposes? Safety pins, band-aids, and zip-loc bags.  Well, and duct tape, but that's just obvious).  At some point I will post a list of all I've found in my closet while packing.  Civilians will roll their eyes, but teachers--you'll understand.

7 comments:

CarissaWalker said...

Woot woot!

Alaska Hamlins said...

Congrats!!! Awesome news. Does this mean you're moving to the "country"? ;)

The English Teacher said...

I've said congrats already, but I say it again...congrats!! Also, I have enough band-aids and safety pins in my classroom to make a Project Runway style dress!!

Anonymous said...

What great news the district is really getting the best. Anxious to hear more details. G Book

Tanya said...

Glad to hear you are spreading your metaphorical everything.

Don't forget the glasses repair kit, generic aspirin that students 'accidentally' find you your desk, and bits of string for holding up pantlegs and pants.

Congrats!

JoAnn Casebolt said...

Wow and I mean wow! I've always wondered what it would be like to work for another company but never had the guts to find out. You are a brave and wonderful soul!

Chris said...

Congratulations! I'm really happy for you!!!

Pages