In my first apartment I had the most AMAZING walk-in closet. I may not be a fashionista, but I do like my clothes, and let's face it--organization isn't my strong point. After moving to the condo I lost my walk in closet, and life has been slightly darker ever since. Until now.
We did lots of shopping and looked at everything from California Closets to the wire shelved do-it-yourself deal. We found a happy medium with laminate dark wood kit from ClosetMaid, sold at Lowes. Even better, it was on sale as part of their New Year's organization event! I love sales.
As with everything, the hounds provided assistance. Logo was in charge of the tools...
(Yes, that is hammer she's flopped on top of)
...while Harry supervised the workplace for OSHA compliance.
Final product. His:
Hers:
Is my side bigger? Heck yeah! We each have our own full-length rod on the outside, and we share the double rods in the middle. By "share," I mean that Ryan gets whatever I haven't filled.Ryan chose to go with drawers, while I chose wire and woven baskets (the woven baskets are particularly cool, from Storables). The logic for me is that I am very much an out of sight, out of mind person, so I forget that I even own anything that's in a drawer. I also installed shoe racks from Ikea AND put my seasonal shoes in labeled boxes on the top shelf. I'm rockin' the organization--I even bought new wood hangers that all match!
You might have noticed something else different about our closets: We have no closet doors. This started out several years ago when I replaced the ugly-as-sin-stiff-as-molasses-in-winter brown doors with curtains just to save my sanity. But when we talked about putting in new doors when we painted, nothing seemed right. Accordion doors meant we had to size down the opening to the closet and lose space. Sliding doors mean you can only see a half of the closet at a time. French doors needed lots of clearance we didn't have. Soo... back to curtains. It's maybe a little non-traditional, but we like it a lot.

Aren't you jealous of my fancy new closet? Too bad I STILL haven't figured out a way to get my laundry to fold and put itself away in said fancy new closet!



4 comments:
hate you.
ok - maybe not you, but your fancy closet.
I'll just take it out on you Zumba style on Saturday...
I am so sorry to hear that your stove is giving you problems guess grandma Yates was right do not buy from SCABBY ASS Sears. Your closets look wonderful and I think the drapes look good. G&GBook
I LOVE getting organized!
It's the STAYING organized part I struggle mightily with.
I have a serious case of closet envy! My spacious walk-in with the cheap wire racks and tupperware tubbys pales by comparison!
Post a Comment