First there are several sets of anthologies from when the school opened in '68. One is four abridged novels in one: The Red Badge of Courage, The Scarlet Letter, Moby Dick and one other I don't remember. Individually, these books might not be bad, but all together? In one class? No wonder people don't like English class.
This is one of the original books:
I originally picked this one up because I only saw "Great Essays From the 16th Century" and I didn't want our school to be reported for child abuse. Turns out it's 16th century through the present ("present" being 1969 here):
Um, 1969 Harlequin romance anyone?
I thought the title was funny, given my former name. The subtitle is "Detailed Notes on Adult Books Popular with Young People." Gone with the Wind? My Fair Lady?
And finally, a good old-fashioned case of it-shouldn't-be-funny-but-it-is:
1 comment:
Only you would do an expose' on old books!
Post a Comment