09 June 2011

Yup, this is how I spend my evenings...

Yeah, so May was a tough month. Jenna is right, it's been really hard to write because we how much Grandma enjoyed reading our blogs. Yes, Blog Stalker, I know you're still out there and I'm working feverishly to keep up with the demand.

In addition to that my main blog subject, Logo, had a rough go of it at the beginning of the month when she came down with some unidentified neurological condition. For awhile she was in a lot of pain and we didn't know what else to do. Have no fear though--after several expensive tests & x-rays, Devil Dog randomly woke up one day and started recovering. She still has a little limp, but is pretty much good as new. That dog...

And once again we've entered the madness of the end of the school year. This is generally how things go: Excitement about the end of the year quickly tempered by a sickness in my stomach realizing 1) how much work I have left to do and 2) how much I still want to cram into my kiddos' heads before they leave. After some frantic last minute planning and grading comes rationalization:  "I don't really need to grade this/teach this/read this..." The final step follows quickly:  Acceptance & apathy. During A&A, you pretty much accept that the rest of the year is a lost cause and you find it difficult to care about waking up, teaching lessons or grading because the end is so near. A&A is also typified by a refusal to take anything seriously and a slightly giddy feeling.

I'm quickly transitioning from rationalization to acceptance & apathy. My freshmen are finishing out the year with Oedipus the King (actually,  this Shmoop summary is far more entertaining). It was kind of a last minute change-of-plan dictated by a new curriculum that we're adopting next year, but it's a pretty great way to end the year.

The thing with Greek drama & mythology is that everyone is related to everyone else in an only-legal-in-Tennessee kind of way. Try explaining that to freshmen! To make my job a little easier, I made a family tree. It's pretty awesome, if I do say so myself!


Of note: Paul Rudd is Creon, Oedipus is Lance Armstrong and Lady Gaga is the Oracle. (Tiresias is the guy from the cholesterol medication ad).

3 comments:

Tanya said...

I transitioned to A&A very easily this year. No problem there.

I love the geneological poster...it's very good for a visual person like meeself.

JoAnn Casebolt said...

Good Grief! Why didn't you clearly state in your blog that the family tree wasn't actually OUR family tree? Here I was trying to zoom in to see what pictures of ME you posted!
LOL, I'm soooo funnnny! Aren't you glad I haven't lost my sense of humor? And when is your sister going to blog?

JoAnn Casebolt said...

stalking one-two-three, stalking one-two-three.......

Pages