This post started out just being about the final touches we put on our mini-remodel... but then I realized that you can't fully appreciate how far this kitchen has come unless you can see where it began. So this is a retrospective piece, showcasing the evolution of my kitchen.
Enjoy--but be warned: If you are ascetically sensitive, you may find some of the early pictures offensive.
This is what the kitchen looked like when I moved in:
And another thing: These cupboards smelled funny. Not bad, but just like old, musty Seventies pressboard cabinets. No matter how much I washed them, they always smelled like "that friend's" house growing up. You know that friend. Oh, was that you? Sorry.
So yeah. Dark fake wood laminate cabinets, rust linoleum with a wrought-iron pattern, and yellow countertops with yellow backsplashes. It cannot get more awesome. Oh wait, yes it can--but you'll have to wait just a minute for more awesomeness.
My first act as homeowner of Casa de Book was to paint these badboys. I chose an offwhite that actually made the yellow countertops look somewhat "cheery." At least that's what they'd call it in a real estate blurb.
But then there were the floor. This flooring was unbearable. God awful. Wretched. Any rug that was put down just drew attention to the fact that you were trying to cover up one of the most ugly creations on the planet. But it was also glued directly to the concrete slab, meaning that replacing it wasn't exactly a weekend project. So I found a creative solution.
- There's a little bar area above the sink (lower foreground of picture). This is too shallow to actually be useful, but exists nonetheless.
- A nifty dark brown florescent bar light running the length of the faux-bar. Provides nice light, with the added feature of boxing the kitchen in.
- A balast-style florescent light fixture (barely visible behind the bar light.
- Popcorn ceiling texturing! In a kitchen!
- Which leads to our super-duper #5 bonus--years of grease collected in said ceiling. Look close now! If you expand the picture and look just behind light--all that brown stuff? That's your bonus!
So now the microhood is gone and I have a regular hood in and I'm thinking of painting and all is going along time until the Ikea It Only Happens Twice A Year Sale. I discover these gorgeous pine cabinets on closeout and decide hey, why not?
Thus beginnith the demolition.
Under all of the dishes, you can also see the insane and useless sink I had. It is a relatively small sink, but it was divided perfectly in two, meaning that neither side was good for anything.
Yey! The upper cabinets are in! (Later, we would find out that they were in-in the wrong order). Dad is hard at work, and you can see that I have no sink/dishwasher/water whatsoever. We removed that whole sink wall so and pushed the kitchen out as far as space and plumbing would let us. It turned out to be about 8 inches, or about 6+ sq. feet of floorspace in the kitchen. It sounds like nothing, I know, but in a tiny little kitchen like this it makes a huge difference!
A word about that bare cement floor you see. Peeling up linoleum that has been glued to the cement slab for almost 30 years sucks. It sucks hard core. It sucks--well, you get the idea. I spent hours, HOURS scraping off that damn linoleum. Dad and I experimented with all sorts of scraping tools, but basically came down to elbow grease and a sharp blade. My knuckles were scuffed up for weeks from hitting against the cement. NOT FUN.
It was about this point in the story that I abandoned ship for England. While I was gone Mom and Dad finished installing the lower cabinets, countertops, and generally pulled the whole project together.
See my new sink? One big basin that can fit a frying pan (my test) and a new faucet that pulls out AND sprays. Cool.
And aren't those cabinets beautiful? I LOVE the Ikea cabinet system. Assembling the cabinets is very unlike most of their flat-pack furniture. As Dad put it "those Swedes are pretty damn smart!" Instead of hanging each individual cabinet, you rails which the cabinets then slide onto. The other thing is that all of the cabinet frames are the same (also, not wood, hence the reason I can afford them). That means that there's a huge variety of organizational options that you can mix and match. For example, in the corner on the right by the oven, I have a carasel, where once there were several cubic feet of wasted space. On the left side I have two pull-out racks:

Sweet!
(This picture really shows all the extra space we added!)
With the introduction of the microhood, Darth can finally move onto greener pastures. Meet Darth:
Darth is this ginormous microwave that Mom and Dad bought when I was in And here's today's newest edition!
A pot rack! Now I feel like a real chef! It also frees up lots of room for me under the counter so I can buy more stuff!!!
So for comparison:
The original:
Remodeled!
Tada! New appliances and new pot rack!
4 comments:
Where are the "unoffensive" pictures of your kitchen?
I love, Love, LOVE the new pot rack!
It was fun to see the whole progression in one place. It brings back fond memories.
Wow I do good work sometimes.
WOW! What a difference all I can say is it is BEAUTIFUl, so bright and clean. Great job G&GBook
Post a Comment