19 April 2009

Spring has sprung, the goats are grazing...

It's mid-April and it's finally stopped snowing. Keep in mind that we live in Western Washington, not the midwest or Alaska. Whatever. Anyhow, our yard is in pretty bad shape, but I took some close-up pictures of the pretty stuff so you don't see the dog-orchestrated devastation happening elsewhere.


Our mint plant, because it's fun to smell after Ryan wacks it back with the Weed-Eater(I didn't plant this, the people who lived here before had a whole bunch of aromatics and useful stuff. Thanks guys!)


Tulips!

Here's what they looked like on Tuesday...


And today (Sunday):


Blueberry buds Tuesday...


And today...


(Again, thanks previous house owners for the cool bush!)

And what blog would be complete without a little Logo destruction. First, Logo loooooves blueberries. She and Ryan have reached a truce where she eats the lower branches and he eats the higher ones (even though she will jump up to get the higher ones) Apparently this season she's decided not to wait until they're grown... she's just eating the blooms right off the tree. She's aiding this plan but throwing her front legs up onto the house so that she can get higher up.

I just heard her hit the house (like right now, while I was uploading pictures of said blossoms) so I ran out to yell at her/take a picture. She's standing there innocently with all four feet on the ground... and then she does this little huff-cough and a blossom comes flying out of her mouth and lands in the grass.

When not attacking our blueberry bush Logo (and to a lesser extent, Harry) are pursuing the tender spring grass shoots that are popping up in the yard. This not "dog eating grass because her stomach is upset" grass eating. This is serious business for Logo:


She is very methodical, but also very picky when she eats. She won't eat just any piece of grass, but roots around for only the most tender, often the ones hidden under the taller, tougher blades.


When she does this, it's often accompanied by a lot of sniffing, huffing and loud chewing. I attempted to capture the sounds of the hunt. If can get past the noisy birds (I don't know why it was so natury that day) you can just barely hear her as she grazes the salad bar--I mean, yard.

No comments:

Pages